Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Set progress and updates...

The set is up! Though it'll need some structural reinforcements - had to bring it in before it was ready to avoid a series of rain-storms lately, soon as we get a nice few days it'll be fixed up. This is the flooring so far; the wood is from a bamboo rug from JYSK that's been sanded down, cut to size and stained (rest to be stained tomorrow). The set is 5' across and has one extra room at the back still to be added on.
1 lb of Sculpey to make this tile piece!
Mostly out of focus, but along the lines of some of the shots in terms of perspective to the set.
Henry now has hands!! Which is good since...
He also has gloves. Just set on top since the clay is still quite squishy, will be able to put it on properly once the silicone version is cast.
His other glove (mis-matched) is also quite worn out - the fraying is knitted in by dropping and adding stitches. Can't sew this one shut until it's right on the hand with all those loopy bits.
And his first painting - there will be visible cross-hairs over it as it hangs in replacement of a window.
Some lightbulbs - still need to make the boxes for them. These will all be burnt-out ones (42 in total) and will be airbrushed greyer.
The gray on the floors is just some slip, I'll wipe it back until I get the levels right. Pretty behind schedule, but it's slowly coming together!

12 comments:

Mike said...

Dang! Your set is one foot longer than mine! :P ...you win.

And Henry's Hands!?! Holy Cow!!! You did such an awesome job it's almost sad to see them covered with the gloves (although don't get me wrong - the gloves are great as well.)

Very creative design for the floor. Love the different stains of wood and tiles incorporated!

You say "slowly coming together"!? You have mounds of progress in this one post alone! Everything looks top notch my friend.

p.s. could you please change my blog link in your list from "jigsaw falling into place" to "phil". No biggie...but it would make me feel better about abandoning a project ;)

jriggity said...

Great progress here!

the hands -gloves are excellent.

jriggity

Emily said...

Thanks for the comments!

He only wears the gloves for the second part of the film so he'll still be flexing his little fingers lots before that!

I changed your link Mike - didn't know I could rename them so thanks for the tip... now I have to behave myself with this new power!! (insert evil laugh here)

Shelley Noble said...

Everything here islooking top notch! Great work!

UbaTuber said...

Excellent job on the hands!! Love 'em...

Anonymous said...

So far, so good, Em- this is exactly what I pictured when we talked about it. Love the floor and tile- I had no idea your set would be so big- am I the only one who works in 2'x2'?

Anonymous said...

Its coming together now, all looking brilliant!

bRYEnd_of_the_schtick said...

(^ and it continues to coalesce.
(^i'm almost sad I spelled the correlatively correctmundoughed

(^..: cough. sought. hack knead.

Emily said...

Thanks for the support! The floors are so close to being done now...

Prosser, I'm honoured that you'd spell correctly :) And Don - I wish I were working 2x2 set, so much less materials! My poor Sculpey supply has so massively dwindled... but a 12" puppet is too tempting to work any smaller.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry, had a typo.

12 inches??! You're right, the scale of the puppets do dictate the scale of the set (except where forced perspective can be used).

Well, it looks great, so I hope you consider the dwindling Sculpey a worthwhile sacrifice. I wish Sculpey would drop in price, polymer clay costs a heck of a lot of money if you need to make anything big.

I'm not complaining, but pointing out the fact. If they dropped their price, I think more Sculpey would move. Same goes for other brands too.

tonychauzer said...

Holy moly, the detail in the work is amazing. I stared at the hands for a good 15 minutes just looking at every little nook... that is quite a feat :) To top it off the gloves are also fantastic, a whole wonder of its own.

Something about the floorboards coming together really strikes a chord with me as did Shelly Noble's. 5' of beauty. And your floor plan looks incredible.

Keep it up!